Saturday, November 21, 2020

Chapter 7

Northern Range
Cloud Lake
Lakeshore Pier





Fiona hoped that Jay would be standing around at the pier or outside the pier, somewhere close to the pier, waiting and watching for her.  He wasn't.  It was cold and bright and she was hungry and too short on money to buy expensive Millwood Lake Pier food.  She could probably manage coffee.  Just barely.


She pulled her cell out of her jacket pocket and shot off a quick text.

I'm here

give me about 15 low on gas



Fiona sat down on one of the benches out on the pier. The wind and water were quiet, birds focused on the fish being unloaded from one of the boats on the next pier instead of this one.  She put her coffee on a table and waited for Jay.


It happened quickly.  It sounded like a tree slowly crashing, heavy trunk groaning as it split, branches snapping against one another, except it came up instead of down, twisted in half pointing up over the water and deck rail and planting itself there.  The chess players continued to play chess.  The coffee drinkers drank coffee.  No one jumped up or shouted or screamed.  No one could see or hear a thing.

A little girl with silver hair and a white gown and bare feet took two steps toward her.  Her eyes were a pale inorganic green.  They were not human.

Because it was the only way Fiona knew how to handle an apparition like this, she said, “Hello my name is Fiona.  Do you need help?”



"Hello," she responded brightly.  "I’m Alisana. Where is my...um...friend?"


A crow hopped out of the ivy. The girl swung her white gown and clasped her hands. Fiona studied the child. Whatever else she was, the little girl was not dead. “Who are you looking for?"

“I can only come through when my friend is here, and I don't see her.”

If this child was a spirit the 'friend' rule would be common, but she didn't feel like a spirit at all.  "Are you sure your friend isn’t here?  What’s her name?”


She glanced up toward the world behind Fiona, the smile slipping away.  "Her name is a secret. If she’s not here I can't stay.  I think I had better go."


Fiona cautiously stood up and Alisana reached out and took her hand. "I'm glad I could meet you," she told Fiona in the same happy voice.  "You're very pretty."

The child's hand was human in its texture and warmth.  "Thank you, so are you."

"If I see you again, maybe I can bring one of my other birds.  They're not like this one.  Some breathe smoke, and some have hands."



Alisana turned and started walking through the ivy and the arch between the trees.  Fiona heard footsteps approaching and glancing over her shoulder saw Jay walking toward her. She could tell from his expression - he could see Alisana. 

The fact that he could see the child made him fundamentally different from the people behind them on the pier. 


“What is this?” he asked, very calmly. 

Fiona had no idea. "I don’t know. Jay, why did you agree to meet me?  Did you see something like this?”



The whole structure went down, the arch, the ivy, all of it.  People behind them at the tables kept chatting and laughing.  Nobody saw it go up, nobody saw it come down.

“Not like this.  I saw dragons.”



It was a strange moment.  Fiona couldn't think of what she should do next - go back to the house now, sit down here and chat first, try to get a better idea of what he saw and what she could do to help?  Well, she decided, better to tell him what you can do that balances out seeing dragons, maybe settle some things up front, although he didn't seem unsettled, only very down.

"Jay," she said as they both kept looking out at the lake and the mountains.  It was a quiet day on the lake.  "I can speak to ghosts and they can speak to me.  It doesn't work like a medium at a table, only in person."

He glanced back toward the people at the tables next to the shops as if checking to see if they could hear them but he still didn't seem nervous, just frozen and tired.  "I always heard that," he replied.  "My dad and yours you know, they talked about shit, but we thought it was a joke.  They encouraged us to believe it was a joke. It wasn't, was it."

"I'm sure they did, and no, it's not a joke.  I'm sure your dragons are real too."

"Yes they are.  You'd better tell me the rest of it, Fiona."

6 comments:

  1. This wasn't what I was expecting, but I love it! Something is definitely going on at Millwood Lake and I have a feeling these two are about to get to the bottom of it, well I hope they do because I want to know too. ;)

    Great shots and lovely writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was one of those pieces I had to write backwards. Those two are interesting to consider - they're looking at the problem from two very different perspectives and two very different goals. He wants to know what's going on in general; she wants to know who killed her parents. Neither of them is likely to see a connection immediately. Fiona is attracted to him probably more than she should be too.

      Thanks again! This set was really hard to envision and build. My idea to use neighborhood objects instead of lot deco didn't work at all for example and I had to start over.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11/12/2019

    This is such a pretty chapter on so many levels! Firstly, the set itself: you've always been my go-to for inspiring beach lots, but this one, this one is really something else. The unexpectedly harsh pine tree backdrop, the colorful yet calming color scheme of the pier, the chipping paint on those shops, the rough stone and wood facades subdued with pretty flowers and cutesy storefronts... I loved it! Fiona looked so lovely just walking around the pier, she didn't need to do anything else to capture my attention. And yet she did so much more! For some reason, I was getting some major Narnia vibes from this chapter, and not only because of the gateway-to-another-world thingy springing out of the lake. The little not-dead-but-not-quite-human girl and her crow were an interesting surprise, not what I'd expected but welcome all the same. Will we get to see more of Alisana in the future? I kinda like her, she's sweet but intriguing.

    Also, for all the freaky supernatural stuff going on here there was still something very serene and calm about this encounter. And it probably would've stayed that way, too, if not for Jay crash-landing into the scene there towards the end, witnessing the final act and then rudely demanding answers Jay-style. Him and Fiona make such an unlikely duo, but they seem to be going towards a common goal (it being uncovering the truth), so maybe they can benefit from each other's company. I just wish Jay could curb his feisty Lombardo temper a little better, it seems unfair of him to snap at Fiona of all people. She's the only person who'll believe you when you say you saw dragons, buddy, do you really wish to alienate her right off the bat? xD

    - Esotheria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I'm so glad you like the pier. As you know, sets take freaking forever to do and this one is large so I was afraid it would crash. Where I could get away with it, I left the spaces empty. Making the views work in all directions was definitely a challenge.

      The Narnia comparison is one I didn't think of but in some ways I'm heading in that direction. Alisana has a family - I'd originally planned on bringing her brother into the picture at the end. I couldn't find clothes I liked, something sort of elvish I guess, and light colored, and preferably with bare feet. I gave up. They'll definitely come back though.

      Fiona doesn't get fussed up about ghosts but a giant archway suddenly appearing out of nowhere shook her. A little girl with inhuman eyes was something new too. It's a peaceful scene, young girl searching for an answer to a horrible puzzle and a sweet and gentle child who leaves some of her peace behind.

      Jay is definitely Lombardo spawn. He's motivated to try to control the personality he was born with, partly because it was difficult growing up as Camilla's child and partly because he really resents being compared to Gabe. Fiona will fight back. He's not a team player and neither is she but they appear to have interests in common.

      Thank you again for reading and leaving me a comment. I always look forward to your feedback, and I am tremendously flattered to get it!

      Delete
  3. Wow! What you did visually with that tree portal (?) and the girl appearing, and then disappearing again was brilliant! That tree structure is beautiful with its twists and turns.

    This lot also looks incredible, it must have taken a lot of work to make it look like that! As always, you've added so much detail, it' really cool. For example that rope-fence around the pier area was genious, really brings it all together.

    I'm happy to see our two main characters together to start on their journey together. You've done a great job setting this up with the previous chapters focusing on their backgrounds, struggles and relationships. I've become really invested in these two characters by now and I'm excited to see how they bounce off each other and meet challenges as a team. / Ani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that lot was such a challenge! It was like decorating four lots at once and I got so obsessed with every little thing. The awning. Whether or not you could see through the windows and what I had to put behind them. The color of the bottom of the balconies. The right kind of flowers for the flower boxes. The people sitting out there. I kept changing it. Anyway, I am so glad you like it!

      Choosing something for the portal that wasn't ominous took some thought. The little girl is like a nature spirit although she's not a spirit technically so that huge arched twisted tree seemed perfect.

      Jay would not have revealed shock, partly because that's not his personality and partly because he'd seen something like that just the day before. Fiona is starting to reveal both herself and why she wants him there without insulting him since she wants his help. They're not a perfect team yet, that's for sure!

      I hope I can continue to hold your interest! Thank you so much.

      Delete